The organisation: Sustineo is an innovative and dynamic consulting firm working at the intersection of research, evaluation and impact in Australia and the Asia-Pacific. We combine the rigour of academic research with the targeted advice, practical recommendations and value for money of the commercial sector. We have a small core team supported by a network of associates who are specialists in their field.
The Sustineo Team is proud of our history of helping many organisations in Australia and across the Asia-Pacific region to understand and solve difficult problems and contributed to sustainable, positive change.
Sustineo’s core capabilities include applied social research, monitoring and evaluation, impact assessment, performance assurance, strategy and governance. We work across a range of sectors including climate change and sustainability, law and justice, economic development and rural, agricultural and community development.
The opportunity: In the context of Sustineo’s expanding portfolio of work, this is an opportunity to join a dedicated and collegiate team working on interesting and important social, economic and environmental development projects, with the opportunity and support to lead your own practice area aligned with Sustineo’s strategy and vision.
Working for Sustineo you will have the opportunity to continue to develop professionally whilst having access to an established and highly effective delivery framework. Working individually and as part of teams you will lead and contribute to complex and varied work in Australia and across the Asia Pacific region.
As a senior member of Sustineo’s team, you will work closely with the CEO to inform and implement Sustineo’s business strategy, with potential future opportunities to take on Executive functions as our organisation’s growth continues. In this role you will lead the design through to implementation of projects, work with a broad network of sectoral specialists, and supervise and mentor junior staff.
The person: We are looking for a highly motivated and adaptable person to join our team. As Principal Consultant (Research) you will be recognised for your subject matter expertise and ability to work with committed executives and professionals on high profile and complex social, economic and environmental projects. You will have a demonstrated ability to win and deliver projects in an applied research and consulting space, with experience in the management of research and consultant teams. You will have a strong network in Canberra and/or internationally, and the proven ability to both identify and win work, as well as oversee the delivery of high-quality project activities.
The role: The Principal Consultant (Research) role will involve responsibilities across the organisation. This will include:
- Project Delivery – oversee and lead the delivery of research projects including methodology development and delivery, management of budgets and timeframes, quality assurance and client management.
- Business Opportunities – identify and develop new business opportunities, including through the expansion of current markets as well as new clients and markets.
- Consulting Capacity – supervise, mentor and support the development of the Research team capacity and capability at all levels, aligned with Sustineo’s core offerings.
- Effective Operations – ensure the efficient and effective operation of the Company, including systems and processes for quality assurance and management of research projects
- Sustineo Profile – support in building broader awareness of Sustineo’s profile, brand and reputation
- TBD – as shaped by you and by your strengths to help support, develop and grow the organisation.
The position could be part or full time, as negotiated with the successful applicant.
The attributes: The varied strengths of Sustineo’s team members combine to ensure we deliver a product that is more than the sum of our individual parts. The successful applicant will bring their own unique range of skills, attributes and potential to contribute to our work. The following are some of the basic (not exhaustive) attributes and skills we value:
- Expertise and experience in applied research, with a strong understanding of design, methodology, conduct and analysis
- Demonstrated experience in leading the delivery of high-quality consulting and research projects
- Expertise and experience in management of project teams as well as supervising and mentoring of junior staff
- Subject matter expertise within – or complementary to – Sustineo’s key work areas
- Expertise and experience in application of qualitative, quantitative and/or integrative research methods
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work adaptively, efficiently, and collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment
- Other – what are the skills you think you best contribute?
The Principal Consultant (Research) is expected to have at least 10 years prior relevant experience (although those with less than 10 years of highly relevant experience are also welcome to apply). You will most likely hold advanced academic research qualifications in disciplines such as law, economics, finance, statistics, public administration, social policy, science, evaluation, health or similar. A background and existing networks in government and/or development aid donor organisations would be highly valued.
The position is based in Canberra but with likely involve travel in Australia and overseas. The salary range will be between $100,000 to $125,000 (superannuation included), depending on experience.
Applications are due 11:30pm Sunday 13 December 2020 (AEDT). Your application will include:
- Resume outlining your expertise, experience and qualification relevant to the role (4-page limit)
- Cover letter and narrative rationale for why your skills, experience and qualifications makes you the best candidate for this opportunity (2-page limit)
- Details of your referees (include in resume).
Submission of applications, as well as any questions related to the role, should be submitted to email@example.com.