Exciting opportunity for a Senior Consultant / Consultant to join the Sustineo team!
The organisation: Sustineo is an innovative and dynamic consulting firm working at the intersection of research, evaluation and policy impact in Australia, the Pacific and Asia. We combine the rigour of academic research with the targeted advice, practical recommendations and value for money of the commercial sector. We have a small core team supported by a network of associates who are specialists in their field.
The Sustineo Team is proud of our history of helping many organisations in Australia and across the Asia-Pacific region to understand and solve difficult problems and achieve sustainable, positive change.
Sustineo’s core capabilities include research, survey design, monitoring and evaluation, impact assessment, performance assurance, strategy and governance. We work across a range of sectors including climate change and sustainability, law and justice, economic development and rural, agricultural and community development.
The opportunity: After weathering the challenges of 2020, Sustineo’s portfolio of work has grown in 2021 both in Australia and overseas. This presents an exciting opportunity for new members to join the Team.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to contribute to a broad range of evaluation and research projects across diverse social and economic subject areas in Australia and overseas. Sustineo’s clients include the Australian Government, Non-Government Organisations, Universities and overseas entities such as UNDP, UN Women, SPC, ASEAN and APEC. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to immediately contribute to projects including:
- National level evaluation of support to Indigenous businesses
- Delivery large-scale social research projects in the Pacific
- Evaluations of domestic and international projects and programs.
The person: Sustineo are seeking to recruit a mid-level or senior consultant to join our team. We are looking for a highly motivated and adaptable person. You will develop and grow professionally as the organisation expands over the coming years. You will need to be committed to the work we do and open to new and challenging opportunities in a fast-paced but supportive working environment.
In this role, we will work with you to advance Sustineo’s projects and develop your career interests in line with our work and business opportunities.
The role: The role will involve responsibilities across the organisation. This will include:
- Projects – research and evaluation design, leading internal data management, survey and quantitative work, stakeholder consultation and engagement, field data collection (potential travel in Australia, the Pacific and Asia), analysis, reporting and editing
- Business development – project design and methodology development, bid development and production, prospect tracking, participating in client meetings and internal workshops
- Team management – communicating with Sustineo’s core and associate teams, managing relationships
- Communications – assisting with social media, production of blog and research briefs
- TBD – as shaped by you and by your strengths to help support, develop and grow the organisation.
The position could be part or full time, as negotiated with the successful applicant.
The attributes: The varied strengths of Sustineo’s team members combine to ensure we deliver a product that is more than the sum of our individual parts. The successful applicant will bring their own unique range of skills, attributes and potential to contribute to our work. The following are some of the basic (not exhaustive) attributes and skills we value:
- Demonstrated experience in applied research and/or evaluation, with a strong understanding of design, methodology, conduct and analysis
- Demonstrated skills in quantitative based approaches to research and data management are essential. Broader skill with qualitative and mixed-methods approaches also highly valued
- Demonstrated experience in successfully completing high quality evaluation and/or research projects
- Subject matter knowledge within – or complementary to – Sustineo’s key work areas
- Analytical capability and affinity with systems thinking and multidisciplinary approaches
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work adaptively and efficiently in a fast-paced work environment
- Willingness to be a polymath and apply their skills to a broad range of areas
- Other – what are the skills you think you best contribute?
A tertiary undergraduate qualification is a minimum requirement for the role. Further qualifications (Honours, Masters, Masters with research, PhD) and relevant prior experience looked upon favourably.
We expect the successful applicant to have at minimum 5 years prior relevant experience for the mid-level consultant role, with those considered for the senior level role expected to have closer to 10 years experience. Particular value will be placed on experience in:
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Quantitative data management and analysis
- International development
- Engagement with Indigenous communities.
The position is based in Canberra but with likely involve travel in Australia, Asia and the Pacific.
Diversity and inclusion: At Sustineo, we are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, people with disabilities, and people of all genders.
Applications: Applications are due 11:30pm Sunday 16 May 2021 (Canberra time). Your application will include:
- Resume outlining your expertise, experience and qualification relevant to the role (3-pages)
- Cover letter and narrative rationale for why your skills, experience and qualifications makes you the best candidate for this opportunity (2-page limit)
- Details of your referees (include in resume).
Submission of applications, as well as any questions related to the role, should be submitted to email@example.com